Vice President Mike Pence told Fox News the Trump administration believes in the freedom of the press, but said maintaining the decorum “that is due at the White House … is an issue that we’ll continue to work forward.”
Pence was being asked about the White House banning CNN reporter Kaitlan Collins from a press event after she had asked President Donald Trump “inappropriate” questions and had refused to leave the Oval Office, according to the network. Collins was representing five television networks as the day’s chosen pool reporter.
The vice president stood by the White House’s decision, and told Fox’s Maria Bartiromo in an interview recorded Friday that the administration has provided “extraordinary access to the media.”
“The president answers so many questions in so many different settings, and I can assure that we’ll continue to do that,” he said.
When asked whether shutting out Collins was like shutting out “everybody,” Pence said he “would leave that decision to the White House staff.”
“We’ll make sure that every network, every major news organization, continues to have access because we stand for the freedom of the press in this White House.”
Bartiromo also asked Pence about economic growth along with the actions of the Federal Reserve.
"In the last two administrations, the economy grew by less than 2 percent," Pence said. "In the first 18 months of this administration, we were a little shy of last year, but were on track to be at 3 percent or better this year."
Published at Sun, 29 Jul 2018 23:03:08 +0000